The school often needs volunteers for certain activities. Your commitment as a parent may be a one-time event, or more sustained, formal or not.
Here are different possibilities:
- Be present when the school organizes community activities (e.g., movie night, community dinner) or concerts (e.g., Christmas concert).
- Volunteer in your child’s class or at the school library (elementary), or occasionally accompany students on school trips or activities at school.
- Join the governing board, which adopts the school’s educational project, sees to its implementation and periodically evaluates it, offers extracurricular services to establish, and ensures consultation between the community and the school, etc.
- Join the Parents Participation Organization (PPO). The activities carried out by this group of parent volunteers can take many forms, such as organizing information groups for parents, thematic days and weeks; participate in fundraising campaigns; take part in the organization of extracurricular activities, parties and other important events; develop school improvement projects (e.g., planting flowers, creating a school newspaper, organizing a graduation party).
- Join a Parents’ Committee whose main role is to advise the school board or service centre. This committee should also promote the participation of parents and represent them to the administrative authorities.
These different options will allow you to better know the school and how it works, interact with other parents and facilitate your integration or learning French, if applicable. The school can give you more information.
Source: TCRI – Family-school-community collaboration