Exploring the job market can be both enjoyable and rewarding for both child and parent.
This exercise can take different forms:
- A visit to education-related fairs and expositions.
- Visiting internet sites specializing in careers or educational establishments.
- Reading up on employment perspectives for different trades and professions.
- Visiting open houses of various educational institutions.
- Finding interesting places to participate in one-day observation internships with professionals.
- Consulting specialized publications.
If you do not already, you should talk about your own career, including your great (and not-so-great) moments! How did you get your current job? What was your school journey like? What are some of your own upcoming challenges?
By sharing with your child what drives you and what gives purpose to your professional life, you become a positive reference for life after school.