According to the Quebec Education Act, there are four types of educational services in schools:
- Preschool (kindergarten) education services.
- Learning services (elementary and secondary school subjects).
- Special services (welcoming classes and support for learning French; home or hospital education (for sick children).
- Complementary services.
The school board or school service centre establishes four complementary educational service programs:
- Support: provide students with favorable learning conditions.
- School life: contribute to the development of student autonomy and sense of responsibility, of his moral and spiritual dimension, of his interpersonal and community relationships as well as his sense of belonging to the school.
- Student assistance: support students in their academic development and in their educational and professional guidance, as well as in finding solutions to the challenges they encounter.
- Promotion and prevention: provide students with an environment conducive to the development of healthy lifestyles and skills that positively influence their health and well-being.
Schools implement these complementary programs, which for students can take many forms.
- Educational and vocational guidance.
- Prevention and treatment of bullying and violence.
- Spiritual animation and community involvement.
- Actions to promote healthy eating and a physically active lifestyle.
- Sex education.