Depending on need

Depending on your child’s needs, the school principal and school board or service centre accommodation department will work with you to see the possibilities of keeping or integrating your child into a regular classroom or specialized classroom. It should be noted that this section of the site cannot give an explicit portrait of the services available, as these vary among the school boards and school service centres.

Check with your school, school board or school service centre to find out more.

After the assessment, your child may benefit from regular classroom instruction. The school board will then be able to enrol your child in regular class with or without support or additional services.

Support services are provided by a Special Education Technician (TES) or an Attendant to Students with Handicaps (PEH – préposé), and can vary according to the student’s needs, time and locations.

For example, the support personnel may be with your child

  • As a pairing
  • Full-time or part-time
  • In-class only
  • Out of class, during lunchtime, recess, etc.
  • During outings
  • To assist with hygienic needs

These are provided by school professionals such as the psychologist, the special education teacher, occupational therapist, speech-language pathologist, special education technician, etc. These services can also be provided at school by external agencies. All of these professionals can provide services to your child, such as intervention, support, assessment and assistance.

Depending on the organization of the school board or service centre’s services for students with special needs, different types of special classes can be offered to address the most common challenges.

These classes offer a lower teacher-to-pupil ratio (fewer students per class) and learning tailored to meet the diverse needs of each child. To learn more about special classes, you should consult the policies and adapted services departments of the school board or school service centre.

When a school board or school service centre does not have the space or resources to meet your child’s needs, it can enter into an agreement with another institution offering appropriate services. Generally speaking, when a child is required to attend school outside their usual territory, transportation is assumed by the child’s school board or service centre.

All school-age students (from kindergarten to Grade 6) living in the territory of a school board or service centre can benefit from child-care if the school they attend provides this service.

Qualified employees create a stimulating and enriching environment for the child before and after school hours, during lunch hours and during school days. This ensures that children receive quality service in an appropriate location.

Inspired by the Quebec Federation of Parents’ Committees (FCPQ) Handbook for parents of children with special needs.